If you made it to this blog, I am guessing that you already know why depression, or any other mental illness, sucks. You feel like you are defective. There is something completely and utterly wrong with you. Why can't I be like everybody else? Why do I feel this way? What is wrong with me? And WHY can't I fix it? And I can't tell anyone about it, because they don't understand. Or they don't want to know. Or they tell me it's all in my head. Or I should do some cognitive behavioral work. And smile. Don't forget to smile. Then go for a walk - that will make you feel better!
Yea right. Been there, got the T-Shirt, then I went to the hospital. 4 times. I cut, I self-medicated, then I was medicated. Most of them didn't work. But one did. As for the therapy, I really should have a Master's by now. 20 years in a seat across from psychologists, psychiatrists, and therapists taught me a lot. And some of it stuck. When combined with the meds, I am actually feeling OK. In fact, I feel pretty good most of the time. But I am a depressive. And chances are I always will be. So now what?
Go to school and become a therapist. Why? Because I know what it felt like. I have been diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder and Dysthymic Disorder, so I know what it was like for me. When I get that piece of paper when I graduate, I hope that I can help someone else who is there too.
Why a blog? Because I want to talk about it! I have spent too many years being ashamed of my depression. It's a part of me, has shaped who I am, and how I live my life. But I am living. So let's get on with it. Check out the ground rules. Tell me what you know. What you want to know (about my experiences). And let's see what happens.
Tuesday, June 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment